Monday, May 24, 2010

A Little Jolt of Joy

I was recently interviewed on World Talk Radio, American Dreams: The Sky is the Limit.

I had not been feeling that well earlier in the day, and I also had some concerns about the phone working properly. However, once I started chatting with the hosts, Jin Robertson and her daughter, Jasmin, I perked up.

Optimistic and caring people have a positive effect on me. And of course pessimistic and selfish folks have a depleting effect. After the interview I was able to go for a two-hour walk and enjoy all the beauty around me.

Prior to the interview I was feeling sluggish and a tad crabby. I may be the writer of a self-help book, but that doesn’t mean I’m always skipping merrily through the park. After all, having an optimistic viewpoint does not make you immune to difficulties, it just provides a more creative way to solve them.

It reminds me of the interview I had with Author, Kimberly Kingsley, who is featured in our book, Erase Negativity and Embrace the Magic Within. Kimberly is an energy coach who has learned about the importance of energy and its function in life. She observed that when she, or others she knew, supported their life energy and allowed it to flow, good things resulted. When people resist and block, or constrict the flow, they become physically or emotionally sick or depressed.

In my case, I had been concerned about a clicking noise in the phone. I was out of state and did not have the option to use another land line other than the one supplied. Two calls went out to a technician to have the situation remedied. Some work was done, but it wasn’t enough. The clicking in the phone continued, and so did my stress. I was almost hoping the interview would be cancelled until I could return to Arizona.

In the end, the interview went on, I was uplifted by my banter with the two hosts, and I think the listeners gained some useful insights. And yes, the clicking noise was there, but I think the engineer took care of a lot of it.

The point is, it is best to do things that energize your spirit. This applies to work, friends, hobbies and everything else. The following is an excerpt from Erase Negativity and Embrace the Magic Within.

•Avoid working in a career where money is your only goal. If you are stuck in a job that brings no joy and drains you of your energy, find something more nourishing to your soul. Chances are you are feeling stuck, not because you have to be, but because you have decided you have to be.

•Be mindful of the energy exchange you experience with others. Remember that you cannot change others, you can only change yourself.

•Be open to the possibilities in life. Just because things have been difficult in the past does not mean they have to continue to be that way. Your determination and strong intent will move you in the direction you set forth.

•Find things that energize you and avoid those that constrict the energy in your heart, soul and mind. Pay attention to how you feel energetically.

•You are not your bank account, your car, or even your body. When you die, none of these transient things will go with you. Learn to love yourself. Know that you are divine and have unique gifts that only you can contribute to the world.

We make choices every day that help shape how we feel. Why not go with the ones that feed your soul? Perhaps one of them will be to listen to my interview on World Talk Radio (hint, hint). I’ve included the url to the show at the end of this article. And don’t stop there. Listen to Jin’s other guests as well. If you listen and feel energized, then go back and listen on a regular basis. If you don’t, try something else. Everyone has something they can see, hear or do that energizes them. Find out what that is and power up with a jolt of joy today.

Here is the url to Jin’s show:

http:/www.voiceamerica.com/worldtalkradio/vepisode.aspx?aid=46388

No comments: