A new year is upon us and folks around the globe are making efforts to lose weight, exercise more, quit smoking and improve their finances. In a more cynical moment I thought New Year’s resolutions were created by the weight loss companies. I was wrong.
More than 4,000 years ago the Babylonians used the beginning of the year (and the advent of a new farming season) to return borrowed farm equipment. I can almost hear Amytis saying, “Nebuchadnezzar honey, don’t forget to return the neighbor’s ox and hoe. Oh, and thanks for the hanging garden. It’s awesome.”
Fast forward a few years and the Romans had a custom of counting the previous year’s stock and making a goal to accomplish more in the coming year. On the other side of the world the Chinese went on a cleaning spree and made sure the home was in tip top shape for the new year.
In modern times most New Year’s resolutions revolve around self-improvement goals. Losing weight is always a top priority. Unless you’ve been living in a cave, everyone knows that it is unhealthy to be overweight. However, there is another type of diet that even skinny folks can benefit from – going on a negativity diet.
For example, did you know that…
• The average person has 40,000 to 65,000 thoughts a day and 95% of those thoughts are negative.
• Developing a happier mindset can increase chemical reactions that can calm anxiety, relieve depression, promote alertness and increase enjoyment.
• Happy people are 35% less likely to get a cold and produce 50% more antibodies in response to flu vaccines than the average person.
• Individuals who score high on happiness and optimism scale have reduced risk of cardiovascular disease, hypertension and infections.
• People who maintain a good sense of humor (an indication of inner happiness) outlive those who don’t. No wonder so many comedians live well into their 80s and 90s.
If you are interested in shedding some unwanted negativity, make a small investment of $12.99 and purchase a copy of my book, Erase Negativity and Embrace the Magic Within. The book is available through Amazon. For an autographed copy contact me through our website, EraseNegativity.com. If you cannot afford a copy, please consider contacting your local library and requesting they purchase a copy. Jackie and I are also available for talks and workshops.
Life is too short to be a grouch. Take action today and order your own copy of Erase Negativity. I suppose you could borrow your neighbor’s, but then you’d have to return it.
If you are still unconvinced, here is a description of the book.
Erase Negativity and Embrace the Magic Within is a practical guide on how to reduce negativity and embrace happiness. From meth addicts to multi-millionaires, the book offers powerful experiences of individuals who have faced dramatic challenges, but did not lose hope. Using these compelling biographies, as well as practical advice and simple exercises, the reader is guided on an internal journey toward adopting a more joyful way to live.
Have a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year.
Sally and Jackie