Sunday, November 21, 2010

Please Pass Some Love with those Mashed Potatos

I received a comment about my blog from someone I never met in Sydney Australia. She came across one of my earlier posts called “Laser Beams of Love” that I also released as a free online article. It still astounds me how the small actions we do can have an effect on others – whether we interact with them on a regular basis, or a chance encounter via cyberspace.

She wrote:
I randomly came across this post on google. The part where the little girl put your hand to her heart was amazing. I have two beautiful children and they are also a wonderful reminder of this miracle we call life. Thank you so much for sharing. This story really touched my heart.
Tara
Sydney, Australia

One of the reasons I decided to become a writer is I wanted to make a positive difference in the world. While I did my best as a mother, daughter, friend, co-worker and wife, I still had a burning desire to create a positive difference for people I may never meet. Hearing from Tara was one example of how my dream is coming true.

For those of you who read my blog on a regular basis, you know that helping others is the reason I co-wrote my newly released self-help book, Erase Negativity and Embrace the Magic Within. I wanted to reach out in a different way and share stories, as well as a little advice, on how to defeat negativity and enjoy life.

I gave my first talk and book signing last week on “Coping with Negative Relatives during the Holidays” at Mystic Moon Bookstore in Scottsdale. The event was put together quickly to coincide with my first TV appearance on ABC’s Sonoran Living. There was a $10 fee for the class and we needed a minimum of 3 people for the show to go on. In these tough financial times I wasn’t sure I would be able to pull it off. I’m not well known yet and I have been exhausting my friends, family and facebook network to support me. I jokingly say most of my friends and family would rather pay $10 to shut me up than to listen to me talk!

However, nine folks came through for me and the show did go on. They also supported me further by purchasing copies of the book, as well as some additional items from Mystic Moon Bookstore. Using my critical analysis I know that the TV segment and the talk were good efforts, but not perfect. I have my homework cut out for me. I know I will improve.

But that is not the point.

During the talk, and the TV show, I knew I was living my dream to create a happier niche in the world. However, it wasn’t a one-way street. Others were energetically sending me support as well (even though they may not have been aware of it.) Like the article I wrote in “Laser Beams of Love” I felt a reciprocal surge of loving energy from the process. And not only human to human, I felt something more mystical, as if the universe were assisting the process as well. Both experiences had a magical quality to them. At least for me.

Probably all encounters, even those we consider mundane, can have a magical result. We just need to elevate our minds and open our hearts to the experience.

Which brings me to my final point.

Next week is Thanksgiving. Many of us will have the opportunity to dine with family and friends for a special once-a-year meal. Many look forward to this event with anticipation – some with dread. And I confess, in my life I have approached this holiday with both mindsets.

My advice for this pre holiday event is to try to take a moment and find the love in your heart and send those laser beams of love out to those around you – especially those who annoy you. While we might not think so now, there will come a time when they are out of our lives and we will miss them. And more importantly, we do not want to miss the opportunity to summon up a little love and shine a little light in the world.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Sally

No comments: