Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Wrong Bus is a Step in the Right Direction

I just read the book, The Wrong Bus, An Urban Christmas Story, by John Noel Hampton. I highly recommend it. Check it out at www.JohnNoelHampton.com or www.amazon.com. I enjoy reading, but it’s difficult for me to find a book, especially fiction, that I enjoy. When I find a novel that captures my interest I become immersed in the message and it becomes a part of me.

Because of this intimate connection I have with my reading material, I have to be choosy. Depressing books darken my mood, thrillers make me anxious, but inspirational books lighten my soul.

The Wrong Bus is realistic, but hopeful. Here is a synopsis:

When Ida, a wealthy older optimist, sets out to complete her Christmas shopping, little does she know the dramatic turn her life will take when she decides to go by bus to save a few dollars and becomes the victim of a brutal assault. Her luck takes a three-sixty turn when Junior, a young African-American student from the wrong side of town with troubles of his own, comes to her rescue-or does it? Christmas in Los Angeles can bring out the worst in some, but it can also spin misery into miracles and just maybe restore faith.

In my own book, Erase Negativity and Embrace the Magic Within, I caution individuals to pay attention to their daily intake of information. If we surround ourselves with negative people, listen to an onslaught of gloomy news reports, fill up our free time with depressing music and read books with dark messages, it only makes sense that it will affect our moods.

That doesn’t mean we have to be oblivious to world events, but I do think it’s important to balance the flow of negative and positive in our lives. For instance, the very nature of journalism is to put a focus on scary, depressing or horrible events. The old adage, “If it bleeds, it leads” is as true now as it has been for decades. So if one is immersed in dismal news stories, you could believe the entire world is bad, crime-ridden and without hope. However, predominately negative stories are being covered, and the reason they are stories in the first place is because of the negative and depressing nature of the event.

But that is not a realistic look at the world.

I believe there is a lot more good than bad. We just need to pay more attention to it. It’s one of the reasons I make a conscious effort to start my day reciting things that I’m grateful for. It can be as simple as seeing the sun shine, having the strength to get out of bed, thinking about the many people in my life who I care about and care about me, as well as having a roof over my bed and enough food to eat. These are simple things for most of us, but they are luxuries or non existent for others.

But back to the book, The Wrong Bus.

We make choices in our lives and one is what we choose to read. John has not only written a realistic, but heart-warming tale, he is donating $2 from the sale of each book (now through Nov. 30, 2010) to charity. I hope you will go to www.Amazon.com or to John’s website and get the book. In my opinion, The Wrong Bus is the right choice for a good holiday read.

No comments: