Monday, September 23, 2013

Act Like a Pretzel, Sing Like a Loon

I like pretzels but I never wanted to be one. However, I have always admired folks who took yoga classes. I tried yoga once and it triggered a nasty migraine. My mind might be flexible, but my limbs are not.

Not one to give up, I decided to try again. This time I signed up for a yogalates class at the Red Mountain Multi-Generational Center in my home town of Mesa, AZ. The class is a combination of yoga and Pilates and I love it.

On one of my recent visits the instructor passed out ways to find your “happy place.” Since I’ve written numerous articles about happiness and erasing negativity I’m always looking for new insights in the pursuit of happiness.
The article gave six, quick points.

• Smile.
• Stay in the here and now.
• Choose good company.
• Enjoy water surroundings such as a pool, lake, ocean, stream etc.
• Use positive self-affirmations on a daily basis.
• Sing.

When I was younger I sang a lot. I was in an all-girl rock and roll band, I sang in chorus in junior high and high school and even performed in a couple of talent assemblies. As I aged, I continued to sing, but not in public. The exception was when I’d pull out my guitar and sing for my children. One of our favorite songs was an original composition I wrote with my neighbor Debbie Odom (who now goes by the stage name Rusty Queen) about a Little Green Man. I occasionally sing it for my grand daughters, Rosannah and Briannah.

The day I received the article with the six tips for happiness I decided to sing with my favorite preschoolers. However, rather than simply strumming and singing, I joyfully belted out the tune with abandon.

Rosannah and Briannah must have felt the difference in my attitude because they asked for me to sing it again and again. After the third rendition I distracted them with another musical treat. We put away the guitar and banged away on the bongo drums and piano. It was a cacophony of noise, but it was fun. I’m sure we’ll have a repeat performance this week.

No one is going to record our music, but it’s fun to play. Unfortunately most of us become more self-conscious as we grow older and we refuse to sing and perform thinking we are not good enough. While I encourage everyone to sing and dance, I know that is unlikely, so I have an alternative suggestion. Go to a concert. Most communities have free outdoor concerts if you read your local paper or go online. For those of you in the Phoenix metro area here is information on a concert that will be available for the next few weeks, courtesy of one of my favorite clients, The Village at Arrowhead Shopping Center. I hope you can join us.

Happy days are back with the return of the Fall Concert Series at The Village at Arrowhead Shopping Center, 20050 N. 67th Ave. in Glendale.

Residents and visitors can enjoy free, live music, as well as a classic car show Friday evenings 6 to 8 p.m. Sept. 27 through Oct. 25 at the picturesque west-side shopping center.

The Roadrunners 50s and 60s Band will start things off on Sept. 27 followed by the Swing Kings Oct. 4, the Still Cruisin Band Oct. 11, One More Time Band Oct. 18 and the Roadrunners 50s and 60s Band will wrap up the fall concert series Oct. 25. All music will be performed on the patio of AJ’s Fine Foods.

“Our Music at the Village concert series is a wonderful way to enjoy live music and check out some awesome classic cars,” said Mary Walker, president of Power Promotions and event coordinator for The Village at Arrowhead. “Whether you want to reminisce about the past or create new memories with friends and family, this autumn event is sure to be a hit with everyone.”

The Village at Arrowhead offers specialty shops that provide the ultimate shopping experience with distinctive fashion, home furnishings, restaurants and personal services in one of the most architecturally unique and aesthetically pleasing shopping centers around.

The shopping center is located at the southwest corner of 67th Avenue at the Loop 101 in Glendale. For more information contact Marks Public Relations at 480-664-3004.






No comments: