Saturday, January 29, 2011

Attracting Meeyons!

I have been a student of the Law of Attraction for a few years now and it still astounds me how a small shift in thinking can have such dynamic results. I’ve been crazy busy trying to get the word out about my book, Erase Negativity and Embrace the Magic Within, as well as get it into stores. There were times when I felt I was trying to open doors by pounding my head against them. It’s no wonder I have migraines.

I’ve sold and given away about as many of my books as I could to friends and family and now I’m faced with the fact that I now have to sell books to people who don’t know me. Of course this is going to be difficult. That is what everybody says, right? Even though I know the message in the book is desperately needed, there is that little nasty little insecure part of me that thinks the only people who will buy this book are people who feel obliged to do so because they know (or feel sorry) for me.

What a bunch of crap!

Most of the time I know better than this, but every once in a while my brain pulls out insecure garbage from the recesses of my brain and taunts me with old messages of unworthiness. In the past, I would listen to these messages. Heck, I invited them in and turned up the volume. I added new twists to my story of woe. It’s like watching the History Channel, except the history is my own short comings.

Now I change the channel and focus on more optimistic messages. And guess what? I’m being invited to speak to new audiences, stores are asking for my book, and perfect strangers are plunking down their hard-earned cash to buy a copy or two.
Today, two stores, SW Herb (www.swherb.com) and Dragonstar Gifts (www.dragonstargifts.com) bought copies of my book and plan to keep it in stock.

Before I was out of the first store, one woman picked up my book and started asking the owner about it. The customer loved the cover and talked about how she was sure she had seen the book somewhere. A part of me was thinking, “Oh she is mistaken.” But then I thought, “Duh, Sally, you have been pounding the pavement, airways, internet and everything else about this book. Don’t you think someone is going to recognize it?”

Of course my granddaughter, Rosannah, who is 3 years old, always points to my book and says “Grandma’s millions.” She can’t say erase negativity, but she likes the word millions (pronounced meeyons) and concentrates on that. Ah, the kid still wears a diaper but she knows that the word millions is much more positive than negativity. No one has trained her that you have to bust your butt, bang your head or cry a river of tears to be successful in life. In Rosannah’s world, Grandma is going to sell millions of copies of her book and that is that.

We grownups (or anyone old enough to read this) all experience problems. But what about the extra roadblocks we throw in our own path when we have self-defeating thoughts such as “I’m not good enough to be happy, successful etc, because (fill in the blank.) When we have these kinds of thoughts is it any wonder that we aren’t achieving our dreams?

Of course my co-author, Jackie, and I wrote the book to help people erase their negativity. We lived through our own issues and wanted to share what we learned on embracing optimism. We also need to remind ourselves that erasing negativity is an ongoing effort.

Anyway, every time I had doubts that I would be able to sell the book, I concentrated on the importance of the message, and not on all the naysayers who assert that it can’t be done. Guess what? It’s working. People are buying the book, reading it and spreading the word that there are simple tools that can help erase negative habits.

So here is my message for today. Concentrate on the gifts you can share with the world. Whether it’s a song, a book, a painting or simply a smile, you can make a difference. One by one we can erase the negativity in our lives. Perhaps one day life will be more like it is for Rosannah who doesn’t grasp the meaning of negativity, but knows that when she talks about “meeyons” she can make everyone in the room smile.

Also, if you get a chance, be sure to watch me on AZTV on Monday, Jan. 31 from 9 to 10 a.m., or watch for the clip on my website, www.erasenegativity.com.

No comments: